- Boards & Commissions
- Conservation Commission
- Plastic Bylaws
Plastic Use Ban
At the May 2019 Town Meeting, voters approved two petitioned articles banning single-use plastic bags and polystyrene containers. To carry out the voters' decision, the Select Board is drafting two bylaws to be placed on the town warrant to be voted at the May 4, 2020 Annual Town Meeting. The reasoning behind the petitioned articles and creating these bylaws is due to concern about the increasing amount of plastic found in our environment, the harmful impacts it is causing to sea life, and its inability to degrade over time.
Harm of Plastic Use Resources
- Documentary - The Plastics Problem
- Video - Plastic Bylaw Public Forum
- Letter to the Select Board - Proposed changes to the Draft Marine Hazards and Plastic Bottle Bylaws - January 30, 2020 (PDF)
- Letter to the Select Board - Revisions of Plastics and Marine Hazards Reduction Bylaw - February 14, 2020 (PDF)
- Presentation - Plastic Bottle and other Plastic Marine Hazards - January 29, 2020 (PDF)
- White Paper - Plastic and Marine Hazards Reduction Bylaw (PDF)
- Bylaw - Plastic Beverage Bottle - January 15, 2020 (PDF)
- Bylaw - Plastic and Marine Hazards Reduction - Updated - February 13, 2020 (PDF)
- Poster Information Session - January 29, 2020 (PDF)
If you would like to learn more or offer your comments and suggestions, please attend the following upcoming meetings:
- Monday, May 4, 7 pm - Eastham 2020 Annual Town Meeting, Nauset Regional High School
- The proposed bylaws will be on the warrant for the community to vote.
- Wednesday, January 29th, 6 pm - Conservation Commission Information Session - Eastham Public Library
- Come learn about the proposed bylaws, ask questions, and provide your feedback.
- Monday, February 3rd at 5:30 pm - Select Board Public Hearing, Eastham Town Hall
- The Select Board will review and discuss the proposed bylaws. The public is welcome to attend, ask questions, and offer feedback.