- Health Department
- Rental Certificate Program
Rental Certificate Program
The Town of Eastham requires all properties that are rented to be registered annually with the Health Department. This is to ensure that all units rented to the public meet the minimum standards set forth in the state sanitary code (105 CMR 410).
To receive a rental certificate a homeowner must submit:
- Calendar year water test results (see below for testing options)
- Properties serviced by town water do not need to complete a water test. Water test results must meet minimum water quality standards.
- Completed Rental Certificate Application (PDF)
- $75 per rental unit fee
- Rental inspection
- Rental inspections are completed the first year of registration and every 3 to 5 years after. Those properties that are triggered for rental inspection will be contacted prior to the start of the rental season of the need for inspection. You will be contacted after the Health Department receives your rental certificate application, fee, and water test results to schedule the inspection (if needed). Rental inspections are currently being conducted virtually.
Water Testing Options
There are currently two options for testing your water.
Water test kits for both labs are available for pick up at the front entryway of Town Hall.
The sample bottles for the two different laboratories are NOT interchangeable. Samples returned in the incorrect bottles will NOT be processed.
Barnstable County Water Quality Lab
The kits are $55 payable by check to Banrstable County. The bottles may be picked up and returned to Town Hall. To return the kits, place them in the cooler in the front entry BEFORE 9:30 am Tuesday and Thursday only. Samples must have an accompanying form and payment. Samples returned after 9:30 am and/or without a chain of custody and payment will not be processed.
The kits are $60 payable by check or credit card to Envirotech. The bottles may be picked up and returned to Town Hall. To return the kits, place them in the cooler in the front entry BEFORE 12:30 pm. Monday through Friday only. Samples must have an accompanying form and payment. Samples returned after 12:30 pm and/or without a chain of custody and payment will not be processed. Those interested in using Envirotech to test for Real Estate Transfers should contact the lab for pricing and bottles.
Rental Inspection Process
Rental properties are inspected to confirm they are in conformance with the Massachusetts state housing code for human habitation and safety and determine occupancy.
The following bulleted items are of most critical concern:
- Functioning smoke and carbon monoxide alarms on every level of the home and within 10 ft of every bedroom smoke alarms
- Nonfunctioning alarms will constitute a failed inspection
- Confirmation of hot water availability will be conducted at the inspections
- Labeled electrical panel
- Functioning doors, windows, and locks
- Minimum sanitary conditions are met
The inspector using the information provided by the homeowner, town records and inspection will determine the total occupancy a dwelling may be rented for. Renting above the determined occupancy is a violation of the Eastham Board of Health Regulations and can result in fines.
Failure to Meet Guidelines
Failure to meet the guidelines set out in the Eastham Board of Health Regulations and/or the State Sanitary Code (105 CMR 410) will result in denial of a rental certificate. Appeals may be made to the Board of Health.
The Town has begun more aggressively enforcing the rental regulations, including monitoring online advertisements. Renting without a rental certificate is a violation of the Board of Health Regulations and can result in fines up to $300 per day.
For more information, please call the Health Department at 508-240-5900, ext. 3230 or email the Health Department.