Outdoor Dining Program
Eastham's new local regulations for Outdoor Dining go into effect April 1, 2023. Do these regulations apply to your restaurant? Why were they created? What is the process for getting an outdoor dining space approved? Review the resources below for answers to these questions, and more!
Need more information? Contact the Community Development Department at 508-240-5900, ext. 3231.
Accessory Outdoor Dining Goals:
- Provide a clear path for local restaurants to retain or add an Accessory Outdoor Dining Area
- Support resiliency, adaptability, and competitiveness of local businesses in Eastham
- Ensure compliance with local and state regulatory requirements for zoning, public safety, and health
- Provide guidance for outdoor dining materials, equipment, and aesthetic appearance
Apply to add an Accessory Outdoor Dining Area
To add an Outdoor Dining Area to an existing restaurant business, please complete the Accessory Outdoor Dining Application packet. The packet includes a checklist to verify that all necessary information is included in your application.
Regulations for Accessory Outdoor Dining can be found under Section 5.3 Accessory Outdoor Dining Areas.
Applicants for Accessory Outdoor Dining are encouraged to read this short Design Guide for Outdoor Dining spaces in Eastham.
Frequently Asked Questions
If your question is not addressed below, please contact the Community Development Department at (508) 240-5900, ext. 3231.
Do the Accessory Outdoor Dining regulations apply to my business?
Accessory Outdoor Dining regulations apply to your restaurant in two main situations:
- If you added a temporary outdoor dining space during COVID, and you would like to KEEP this space
- If you have never had an outdoor dining space at your restaurant and would like to add one
Are there any design requirements for Accessory Outdoor Dining spaces?
The Town of Eastham's Zoning Bylaw includes requirements for design of Accessory Outdoor Dining spaces. Regulations for Accessory Outdoor Dining can be found under Section 5.3 Accessory Outdoor Dining Areas.
Additionally, applicants may view the Outdoor Dining Design Guidelines for tips and suggestions that will assist restaurants in creating an aesthetically pleasing and zoning-compliant outdoor dining space.
Do I need to obtain any separate Licenses/Permits/Approvals for my Outdoor Dining space?
Accessory Outdoor Dining spaces that make use of tents, outdoor heaters, decking, or other components may require additional Town permits or inspections. Additionally, restaurants that want to provide alcohol service in an Accessory Outdoor Dining space may need local and/or state licenses to extend service to an outdoor space.